CHP: California Residents with Out-of-State License Plates Must Pay

Date Posted: 07/14/2017

Categories: News, Traffic Tickets, California DMV, California Drivers

The California Highway Patrol is asking local drivers to report people they know are living in the state but driving with an out-of-state license.

It even has a website called Cheaters: Out-of-State (Out of State Registration Violaters).

The CHP says the state of California, "loses millions of dollars a year in revenue from California residents who unlawfully register their vehicles in other states or countries."

Somebody moving to California from out-of-state has 10 days after establishing residency to get a California driver license and 20 days to register his or her vehicle.

That can be complicated when booking an appointment at the DMV, which is a requirement for getting a driver license. Appointments at some DMV locations are backed up for several weeks.

The DMV has plenty of information on its website, about what documentation is needed for obtaining a license and registration.

This article was originally published in ABC10 Connect. Continue reading the full article here.